Tofu is a highly nutritious food used in many Japanese and Korean recipes, has several benefits for the human body due to its numerous vitamins and enhances well-being.
What is tofu and what is its origin?
This versatile and millenary food originates in China, is very popular in Japanese and Korean cuisine and is a favorite in meals of those who want to eliminate meat from their food.
This food is obtained from boiled and shaved soy milk. It has a preparation process similar to cow cheese or another animal, hence known as soy cheese or tofu cheese.
What are the main features of tofu?
Soy cheese can have a soft or firmer texture, to which is added a neutral flavor and light color. It is rich in vitamins, proteins, fibers, isoflavones and antioxidants. The main vitamins and minerals present in tofu are as follows:
- Vitamin K;
- VItamine B-6;
- Folic acid;
What are the main benefits of this food?
Among the benefits of tofu are the generous amounts of proteins, carbohydrates and vitamins that help the proper functioning of the body. In addition, tofu also helps in the prevention of multiple diseases, namely:
- Breast and cervical cancer;
- Cardiovascular diseases;
- Type 2 diabetes;
- Prostate cancer.
Among the benefits of tofu consumption are the prevention of some types of cancer and heart disease. This protein-rich food also has other advantages for the body, :
- Improved brain function – the isoflavones present in tofu increase estrogen, which has a positive impact on memory.
- Weight control – tofu has low calories, is rich in water and proteins that help decrease fat formation.
- Aid in muscle strengthening – every 100g of tofu include6.55g of proteins, which helps in the construction, strengthening and reconstruction of muscle tissues.
- Relief of menopause – due to the presence of soy isoflavones in tofu, there is an activation of estrogen receptors. Tofu consumption helps reduce heat spikes and night sweats.
- It enhances the functioning of the intestine by being rich in fiber.
- It helps in the control of hunger – being a food rich in protein, fiber and water contributes to a feeling of greater satiety.
How to consume tofu?
There are several ways to consume tofu. Because it is a very versatile food it is possible to use it in sweet and savory recipes, such as:
- Vegan cheese bread;
- Vegetable quiche;
- Creams and soups;
- Gratin vegetables
- Vegan burgers.
These are some options of dishes that you can start incorporating into your day-to-day to replace meat and dairy foods. Tofu can be eaten raw, grilled, roasted or in pates and pastes.
How to make tofu?
For the tofu preparation process at home you will need 1kg of soybean and filtered water. Then you should:
- Wash soybeans under running water;
- After washing, reserve the contents in a container with approximately 3 liters of water. Leaves the beans soaking for 8 to 10 hours at room temperature;
- After these 8-10 hours, the water flows and together all the grains with filtered water in the blender, in the proportion of 1 cup of water for a 1 cup of soybean;
- Reserves the beaten soy and heats 4.5 liters of water in a pot;
- After heating the water, put the beaten soy in hot water and stir without stopping until boiling;
- When boiling, turn off the heat and sing the contents, aparting the soy from the milk with a thin cloth;
- Prepares the coagulant: 5 teaspoons of calcium chloride or magnesium sulfate, also known as bitter salt. Dissolution should be done in 1/2 cup of warm water;
- Heats the milk, turns off the fire and adds the coagulant, mixing carefully;
- With a skimming collects the clots that were formed, and covers with a perforated shape
- Press the shape with weights for 10 minutes. After this step, place the tofu in a deep container and cover with cold, filtered water for 10 minutes;
- Unshape the tofu and leave it in a container with ice water.
The tofu should be stored in the refrigerator and its water should be changed daily. On average it has a period of 5 days of validity.
Cheeky Leeks in your house!
You want to start feeding better without leaving the house? Order here your favorite burger or ours
Quinoa salad with tofu and
waits that will arrive quickly: easy and worry-free!
The food that is good for health and the environment is at Cheeky Leeks.